Study Team: Vicki Flenady, Philippa Middleton, David Ellwood, Adrienne Gordon, Michael Nicholl, Caroline Homer, Jonathan Morris, Glenn Gardener, Michael Coory, Miranda Davies-Tuck Fran Boyle, , Michael Coory, Emily Callander, Christine Andrews
Implementation partners: Clinical Excellence Commission NSW, Clinical Excellence QLD, Safer Care Victoria, Stillbirth Foundation Australia.
The Safer Baby Bundle will initially be implemented by the health departments across Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales. Educational programs for health care providers have been developed including the Bundle elearning program . All resources are based on the best available evidence as summarised in the position statements and guidelines.
Through additional MRFF funding, the Bundle is currently being up scaled nationally. This work aims to engage health departments and communities across Australia to research and develop resources for the Safer Baby Bundle that meet the needs of Indigenous communities, families in rural and remote locations, and culturally and are:
The Bundle evaluations objectives are as follows:
To implement and evaluate the impact of a maternity care Safe Baby Bundle (SBB ) which addresses priority care practices for Australian maternity settings on stillbirth rates after 28 weeks’ gestation.
1. To compare before and after the implementation of the SBB:
- rates of obstetric intervention and other important maternal and newborn outcomes
- rates of key performance indicators (KPI) and other process outcome measures
- women’s psychosocial outcomes and reported outcomes relating to care
- clinicians’ knowledge and confidence in clinical care practices of the bundle elements
2. To assess the impact of the bundle on hospital resource use and outcomes by level of implementation and the influence of leadership, governance and culture on implementation
3. To assess a mobile phone app for women relating to the SBB on knowledge of bundle components, health seeking behaviours, confidence and self-efficacy
To undertake an economic evaluation of the care bundle.
For more information, visit the Safer Baby Bundle page.
Funding: NHMRC Partnership Grant
Funding: Medical Research Future Fund – Accelerated Research Grant